Posted By: ITWiser Webmaster - Yorkshire's IT Specialists
Posted By: ITWiser Webmaster
Countdown to GDPR!
There is a major shakeup of European data privacy laws on the horizon with a significant new privacy law coming into effect in May this year called the Data Protection Regulation or, as more commonly known the GDPR.
The main aim of the GDPR is to create a unified regulatory data protection regime fit for the digital age, it brings with it large fines and penalties for a data breach.
- Personal data must be processed according to the six data protection principles.
- You must be able to demonstrate compliance through accountability and governance with the GDPR.
- There is a requirement to build effective data protection practises and safeguards from the very beginning of all processing.
- You must identify and document the lawful basis for any processing of personal data.
- There are stricter rules for obtaining consent.
- Individuals’ rights are enhanced and extended in many important areas.
- Organisations must be clear and transparent about how personal data is going to be processed, by whom and why.
- The transfer of personal data outside the EU is only allowed under certain criteria.
- Personal data needs to be secured against unauthorised processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage.
- The appointment of a Data Protection Officer is mandatory.
ITWiser can help you get ready now for the GDPR in several ways, including:
- Identifying the key questions to address to audit your current data
- Review existing or new contracts
- Considering the policies and procedures you may need to put in place or update
For assistance with GDPR contact ITWsier we offer comprehensive solutions, services and expertise to help you meet your GDPR compliance objectives.